HMRC revealed top 10 worst excuses for missing the Self Assessment deadline
Earlier this year, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) revealed their ten worst excuses for missing their 31st January Self Assessment deadline for 2014 and it makes amusing reading.
Their list of top ten excuses which were all used in unsuccessful appeals were :
- My tax papers were left in the shed and the rat ate them
- I’m not a paperwork orientated person – I always relied on my sister to complete my returns but we have now fallen out
- My accountant has been ill
- My dog ate my tax return
- I will be abroad on deadline day with no internet access so will be unable to file
- My laptop broke, so did my washing machine
- My niece had moved in – she made the house so untidy I could not find my log in details to complete my return online
- My husband ran over my laptop
- I had an argument with my wife and went to Italy for 5 years
- I had a cold which took a long time to go
HMRC do recognise that a number of taxpayers may have difficulties completing their tax return on time and have opened a Tax Helpline to give practical help and advice to people affected by severe weather and flooding – 0800 904 7900.
CLICK HERE to read the article in full.